Mechatronics and Control Engineer for Space Robotics (M/F)
Space Applications Services NV/SA performs and supports system and software engineering for the European Space Agency (ESA), National Space Agencies and the aerospace industry. We are involved in international manned & unmanned spacecraft programmes, earth observation, science, exploration, communications and related technology development.We are currently looking for a Mechatronics and Control Engineer, wishing to join our dynamic and international team. The successful candidate will be based in our office in Brussels (Zaventem).
Tasks and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will join the Robotic Systems Team (Technologies, Applications & Research Division, Systems Department), whose activities cover the complete development lifecycle in a range of robotics projects.
- He/ she will report into the team leader
- The work assignation will initially deal with the development of control software components for complex robotic components related to space robotics applications (planetary and in space), in challenging ESA and/or EC funded projects. These projects in particular include (1) the development of a 7 dof force feedback exoskeleton user interface (for robotic telepresence) following essential space flight requirements and (2) the development of a standard interface for space robotics applications allowing mechanical, power and data connection between robotic components.
- Analyzing potential control strategies, carrying out trade-offs accounting for electronic boards options and taking into account mission requirements
- Developing hardware and software test setups to validate the suitability of control strategies
- Supporting the end-to-end implementation, testing and optimization on target robot architecture
- Generating the technical documentation required all along the process
- The position is located in our offices in Brussels (Zaventem) and will involve limited international travel within Europe (and possibly US) for short-term collaboration projects.
Qualifications and Experience
- For this position you must have between 2 and 5 years of professional experience in space robotics applications.
- Proficency with control algorithms related to robotics manipulation, haptic and SLAM applications
- Hands-on experience with robotics software developments and frameworks (ROS, OROCOS, Gazebo,…), real-time control and communication (CANOPEN, EtherCAT,…)
- Advanced programming skills in C++, Python
- Hands-on experience with real integration of complex assemblies in robotics applications
- Proficiency with technical documentations production
- Good knowledge of space qualification process and constraits (and relevant ESA ECSS standards).
Candidates are also expected to have following skills:
- Fluent communication skills in English (both written and oral), French or Dutch as mother tongue is an asset
- Ability to cope with pressure
- Ability to synthesise, summarise and draw conclusions
- High level of flexibility
- Ability to work in multicultural teams
- Good organization and communication skills
- A proactive approach, with initiative and ability to work independently
- Problem-solving attitude.
What Do We Offer?
- Working in a growing science and engineering company, with offices in Belgium, the Nertherlands and the USA
- A professional, pleasant atmosphere where autonomy and initiatives are encouraged and with various career growth opportunities
- An interesting compensation package with relocation assistance, if applicable
- A full time employment position.
How To Apply?
Please apply by filling in the online application form and uploading your CV and Motivation Letter (both in English) on the ‘Careers’ section of our website http://careers.spaceapplications.com/ via the “Apply” button.
Preference will be given to candidates eligible to work in the European Union or in possession of a European Blue Card.
The application deadline is 1st September, 2017. Please address you Motivation Letter to: Mrs. Veronika Horvath.
Job ID: TA&RD-ROB-2017-06-ZAV-001
Leuvensesteenweg 325 1932 Zaventem, Belgium
Tel: +32 (0)2 721.54.84 www.spaceapplications.com