Mechanical Engineer for Space Robotics (M/F)
Space Applications Services NV/SA performs and supports system and software engineering for the European Space Agency (ESA), National Space Agencies and the aerospace industry. We are involved in international manned & unmanned spacecraft programmes, earth observation, science, exploration, communications and related technology development. We are currently looking for a Mechanical Engineer, wishing to join our dynamic and international team. The successful candidate will be based in our office in Brussels (Zaventem).
Tasks and Responsibilities
The candidate will join the Robotic Systems team (Technologies, Applications & Research Division, Systems Department), whose activities cover the complete development lifecycle in a range of robotics projects.
- He/she will report into the team leader
- The work assignation will initially relate to the design and manufacturing of complex robotic components for space robotics applications (planetary and in space), in challenging ESA and EC funded projects. These projects in particular include (1) a novel concept of Moon exploration rover for volatiles (water ice) detection, and (2) the space grade design of payload components for Sierra Nevada Corporation’s Dream Chaser
- Analysing potential concepts and technologies for the mechanical structures to be designed, taking into account mission requirements
- Carrying out trade-offs with rapid prototyping approaches for validation purpose
- Carrying out end-to-end CAD modelling and preparing models for manufacturing
- Supporting the end-to-end MAIT process for the designed components
- Generating the technical documentation required all along the process
- The position is located in our offices in Brussels (Zaventem) and will involve limited international travel within Europe (and possibly US) for short-term collaboration projects.
Qualifications and Experience
- CAD engineer with 2 to 5 years of professional experience in space robotics applications
- Outstanding proficiency with CAD tools (example: Solidworks) and proven track record with complex components and mechanisms design
- Excellent understanding of materials, tolerances, supply chains and COTS procurement for space products
- Hands-on experience with integration of complex assemblies
- Proficiency with technical documents production
- Good knowledge of space qualification process and constraints (and relevant ESA ECSS standards).
Candidates are also expected to have following skills:
- Fluent communication skills in English (both written and oral), French or Dutch as mother tongue is an asset
- Ability to cope with pressure
- Ability to synthesise, summarise and draw conclusions
- High level of flexibility
- Ability to work in multicultural teams
- Good organization and communication skills
- A proactive approach, with initiative and ability to work independently
- Problem-solving attitude.
What Do We Offer?
- Working in a growing science and engineering company, with offices in Belgium, the Nertherlands and the USA
- A professional, pleasant atmosphere where autonomy and initiatives are encouraged and with various career growth opportunities
- An interesting compensation package with relocation assistance, if applicable
- A full time employment position.
How To Apply?
Please apply by filling in the online application form and uploading your CV and Motivation Letter (both in English) on the ‘Careers’ section of our website http://careers.spaceapplications.com/ via the “Apply” button.
Preference will be given to candidates eligible to work in the European Union or in possession of a European Blue Card.
The application deadline is 1st September, 2017. Please address you Motivation Letter to: Mrs. Veronika Horvath.
Job ID: TA&RD-ROB-2017-06-ZAV-002
Leuvensesteenweg 325 1932 Zaventem, Belgium
Tel: +32 (0)2 721.54.84 www.spaceapplications.com