(Java) Software Engineer for Mission Control Systems Development (M/F)
Space Applications Services NV/SA performs and supports system and software engineering for the European Space Agency (ESA), National Space Agencies and the aerospace industry. We are involved in international manned & unmanned spacecraft programmes, earth observation, science, exploration, communications and related technology development. We are currently looking for a Java Software Engineer, wishing to join our dynamic and international team. The successful candidate will be based in our office in Brussels (Zaventem).
Tasks and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will join the Control and Data Centres team, whose activities cover the development of ground control systems, controlling the experiments done on board of the International Space Station, and different future spacecrafts, as well as the development of space weather related systems.
- The relevant activity for this position is the development of mission control systems for future unmanned and manned spacecrafts
- In this activity, the software will be developed in the team according to detailed requirements, while following space related standards
- Together with your colleagues, you will be responsible for the development of the system following the full software development cycle, including the production of high level documentation and while adhering the relevant standards.
Qualifications and Experience
- For this position, you must have a 4 or 5 years university degree in a relevant discipline (Computer Science, ICT engineering or equivalent). The following capabilities are mandatory for the position:
- 2 to 5 years of experience in design and development of software implemented in Java. (Exceptional young graduates will be considered)
- Experience with the full software development lifecycle
- Competent in writing high-quality software project documentation in English
- Good knowledge of Linux systems as a user and administrator
- Good understanding of IP networks, firewalls, VPN, PKI, routing
- Open Source Server environment – OpenLDAP, FTP, Samba
- Experience with Python and Django
- Knowledge of CCSDS protocols: Packets, CFDP, MO, SL
- Knowledge and experience with ECSS E-40 standard.
Candidates are also expected to have following skills:
- Fluent communication skills in English (both written and oral), French or Dutch as mother tongue is an asset
- Ability to cope with pressure
- Ability to synthesise, summarise and draw conclusions
- High level of flexibility
- Ability to work in multicultural teams
- Good organization and communication skills
- A proactive approach, with initiative and ability to work independently
- Problem-solving attitude.
What Do We Offer?
- Working in a growing science and engineering company, with offices in Belgium, the Nertherlands and the USA
- A professional, pleasant atmosphere where autonomy and initiatives are encouraged and with various career growth opportunities
- An interesting compensation package with relocation assistance, if applicable
- A full time employment position
- Your work will be divided between the company's headquarter in Zaventem (3 days/week) and the office of one of our space-related customers in the south of Brussels (2 days/week).
How To Apply?
Please apply by filling in the online application form and uploading your CV and Motivation Letter (both in English) on the ‘Careers’ section of our website http://careers.spaceapplications.com/ via the “Apply” button.
Preference will be given to candidates eligible to work in the European Union or in possession of a European Blue Card.
The application deadline is 1st September, 2017. Please address you Motivation Letter to: Mr. Rani Pinchuk.
Job ID: SE-GSS-2017-01-ZAV-002
Leuvensesteenweg 325 1932 Zaventem, Belgium
Tel: +32 (0)2 721.54.84 www.spaceapplications.com