ISS Operator and Operations Engineer (M/F) - (ISSO&OE-SERV-OPS-2017-01-ZAV-001)
Tasks and Responsibilities
To be a member of a team working on the exploitation of the Belgian User Support and Operations Centre (B.USOC) in Brussels (Uccle), Belgium. B.USOC is a mission control centre from where scientific instruments on-board the International Space Station (ISS) are monitored and controlled, and science data received and processed, intermittently operating 24/7.
The assignment includes the preparation of the operations surrounding scientific experiment execution on payloads on-board the ISS: developing and documenting operations concepts, operations procedures for ground and crew, and various related operations products. The work includes work on ground models of the involved payloads. It will also involve the management of all ground systems (IT and communications) and data flows related to the on-going experiments. And, not least, during execution of the scientific experiments, the team is staffing the control centre in shifts and is in charge of operating the relevant payloads as part of the ISS ground operations network.
All the work is done in close collaboration with various engineering, operations and science teams throughout Europe, involving travel from time to time, mainly in Europe. The assignment involves attending training courses and workshops related to the USOC systems, payloads and the ISS subsystems. Operations simulations are also regularly organized to train the Operators for their tasks, to maintain proficiency, and to enhance teamwork skills.
Qualifications and Experience
Some previous working experience is considered an advantage, but is not mandatory. The following experience and qualifications are relevant for the position:
• Polyvalent, stress-resistant and problem-solving attitude.
• Team-player with self-motivation and initiative-taking mindset.
• Excellent communications skills in English (spoken, written).
• Experience with operations and/or operations engineering.
• Experience in documentation and/or procedure writing in English.
• Experience with system administration tasks, especially related to Linux, networking and virtual machines.
Candidates should be prepared to work in shifts and be on-call on a regular, though not constant basis. Shifts and on-call period are normally planned and scheduled well in advance.
What Do We Offer?
• Working in a growing science and engineering company, with offices in Belgium, the Nertherlands and the USA.
• A professional, pleasant atmosphere where autonomy and initiatives are encouraged and with various career growth opportunities.
• An interesting compensation package with relocation assistance, if applicable.
• A full time employment position.
Preference will be given to candidates eligible to work in the European Union or in possession of a European Blue Card.
We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.
How To Apply?
Please apply by filling in the online application form and uploading your CV and Motivation Letter (both in English) on the ‘Careers’ section of our website http://careers.spaceapplications.com/ via the “Apply” button